New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  17:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Development of the Hubble Space Telescope. (You may want to skip chapters 1 and 2 which are technical, and start at chapter 3).

Dear Members,

Often, when individuals deal with mental illness, their whole world centers around their illness.

There are many therapies that teach that the ill individual should not let their illness totally preoccupy their thinking. Thus some therapies teach that an individual should set time aside to meditate and become very mindful "just-of-the-moment".

There is another approach. I have found that studying our place in space (astronomy) and time (evolution) can help individuals better deal with their mental illnesses.

This proposal sounds a bit peculiar, but I would like you to journey with me studying space and time. At the end of this journey, I hope to show you "who-we-are" and "where-are-we-going".

I will give you a hint. I strongly believe that stellar or human history oscillates between chaos and order, destruction and construction. I also believe that there are laws of the universe that control the formation of stars, and the formation of civilization. The predictable life and death of the stars parallels our own life cycle, and that of our civilizations.

Each of us grows, brings order to the chaos of our existence, then dies. Our empires also briefly exist, then vanish. Our planet has produced millions of species over millions of years that briefly existed, then died. Yet something amazing is evolving that transcends these individual life-death cycles.

Let's start by studying the evolution of space and time - the study of astronomy.

(The first two chapters of these videos on the Hubble Space Telescope are technical, and you might prefer to skip these and start with chapter 3.)

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  17:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Development of the Hubble Space Telescope. (You may want to skip chapters 1 and 2 which are technical, and start at chapter 3).
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  23:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Creation of our solar system 4.5 billion years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  23:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Missing Chapter 4)
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  23:54:59  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Cosmic collisions.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  00:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Black holes, worm holes, and quasars.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  10:43:03  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Gravitational Illusions (technical).
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  10:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Birth (14 billion years ago) and death ("The Big Rip") of the universe. This is extremely interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  10:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
The birth of the universe ("The Big Bang"). This is absolutely amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  11:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
The Hubble Ultra Deep Field pictures. (This is technical).
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  12:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Atronomy Picture of the Day)
You can search the archive of "Astronomy Picture of the Day" for absolutely fascinating pictures. As a psychiatrist, I love this picture. This picture, I believe, depicts how precarious our lives are as individuals, but what amazing feats we can achieve working together.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  15:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Some of the remarkable pictures from Hubble.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  15:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
A beautiful collection of Hubble Space Telescope pictures of nebula.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  15:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Excellent simulation of Orion Nebula.

Dear Members,

In the following weeks, I will continue this information series. Next week, we will explore the story of evolution of life on our planet. Thereafter, I wish to explore human evolution and how its rules can be applied to better understand mental illness.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  22:16:01  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Hubble "Deep Field" picture of one of the most remote parts of space.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  22:21:04  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic
(Click For Video)
Listen to the sound of space.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0