Having A Mentor (or Sponsor)
 Mentor or Sponsor

Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nutmeg

73 Posts
Gratitude: 6

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  11:10:10  Show Profile
I would enjoy being a mentor or sponsor. How do we sign up for this service? Can we just out of the blue ask someone to be our mentor? Where are they quizzes we can take to become a mentor ourselves? This sounds like a unique way to guide each other through life.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  15:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Welcome to our community Nutmeg,

Yes, there will be free online courses (in Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, and Depression) to train mentors. I will be authoring these online courses on my holiday in Hawaii over the next 3 weeks.

These free online courses are hoped to be both informative, and social. They will be conducted like online university tutorial classes:

• Students will read an online lecture, and be quizzed by the computer as they read each page. If they make a mistake in a quiz, the computer will gently correct them and give additional information.

• At the end of each online lecture, the students will be asked to write a brief essay relevant to their life experiences on the lecture topic.

• The students then will read the other students' essays and comment on them. Our hope is that this discussion will promote more friendly social interaction between our students.

• The students will then start the next online lecture, and the whole process will be repeated.

• When the student has successfully completed the entire online series of lectures; they will earn the designation of "trained mentor" in our community.
We want to offer this free service to our mentors in the hope that they will want to become better informed about how to be a good mentor.

Thanks for volunteering to be a mentor Nutmeg. Mark is still creating the software that facilitates this "mentoring" (i.e., creating a private place in a blog for member-mentor communication etc.). We expect to be able to start mentoring before the end of this month. Initially, the mentors will be untrained; later they will have the option to become trained.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

firebird
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1555 Posts
Gratitude: 584
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  06:54:45  Show Profile
I would be interested in being a part of a mentor team.

Thank you Firebird,

We will need many mentors to help our new members. Mark and I will hopefully have the "untrained" mentoring system up and running within 2 weeks.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

kimaloha
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  17:30:57  Show Profile
to nutmeg Doctor. Where are u in Hawaii. I am on Oahu just above Pearl Harbor. Across from Pearlridge. Are u conducting any classes or such while here?

Blessings. Kim
Go to Top of Page

kimaloha
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  17:33:13  Show Profile
kimaloha here. wow. I need to go thru these courses to mentor! How?

Blessings. Kim

Dear Members,

No courses are needed to be a mentor.

Later, however, we will be giving an online course on how to be a more effective mentor.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0