Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

firebird
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1555 Posts
Gratitude: 584
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 10/23/2008 :  17:43:28  Show Profile
While we have forums for Depression, Mood Disorders, Psychotic Disorders, we don't actually have a forum for PTSD. Though I guess they could be lumped with Anxiety disorders (which we don't have) or Depression Disorders (which we do). Why is this?. Why are stress disorders given so little importance?. Its like nobody ever wants to acknowledge or deal with these types of trauma based illnesses. They just prefer to gloss over them or ignore them or label the sufferer with some other disorder
I wish we had a forum for PTSD. I feel I cannot fully relate in the other forums because my symptom's don't really fit in any of them.
Why is PTSD always ignored ! and how does it fit in My Therapy Forums!.

Go to Top of Page

firebird

1555 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:18:54  Show Profile
Maybe its because PTSD is not a mental illness. Like its a disorder but not a biological illness like psychosis or affective disorders. This maybe why no one wants to treat it.
Go to Top of Page

firebird

1555 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  12:10:23  Show Profile
A young girl wrote a letter in my local paper the other week about her struggle with physical and sexual abuse. This person was in such distress. usually on controversial topics people flood the newspaper with responses. This time the silence was deafening. Not even anyone from the health sector responded. It makes me think most people don't care. They prefer to wall up the victims behind a wall of shame. the only time people are concerned is when the victims breaks out in retaliation in acts of violence. then people wake up. Only to say "you are a bad person". Basically the message to abuse victims is " put up, shut up, nobody wants to hear it". The politics of forgiveness is on the victim. Which basically is exactly what the abuser told the victim, "no one is going to listen to you anyway' This indifference is carried into the world of mental health. so little research and training is given to traumatology (though some are trying). I was deeply touched by this girls letter. Sometime back a young woman threw hot water on an sexually abusive step father. Everyone was so horrified at her, saying she should go to prison. me, I applauded her action and thought, should of put a hatchet in him too. I am really disgusted at my local mental health professionals They make me sick. None of them speak out (too mindful of social politics)and none of them seem to have any training in PTSD( just plain laziness or ignorance). They are so lame. As usual, its up to victims of abuse to help and support each other. I will write a letter back, but its very painful and a struggle as it makes me very depressed, angry and gives me a migraine. but if no one does, who will?.
Go to Top of Page

firebird

1555 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  06:48:25  Show Profile
I am just wondering if there is any point in doing a PTSD forum at all. Is it because no one is interested or there is noone who can relate?, or is it because its felt to be not separete and should probibly just fit in say.., the Depression Forum?
Go to Top of Page

firebird

1555 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  11:52:25  Show Profile
I have been doing some reading about a condition related to emotional dysregulation and common in Complex PTSD and Dissociative disorders. Its the inability to recognize emotions. I have this too. Sometimes I am unable to describe how or what I am feeling in words. This is why I guess pictures and images are so important to me to help express emotions. Its called Alexithymia, from the Greek, meaning literally "without words for emotions.
Go to Top of Page

the painter
Super Member (250+ posts)

376 Posts
Gratitude: 409
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  09:46:51  Show Profile
What happened about this?

Understanding and love will keep you warm at your death bed....me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0