clinical depression

Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

lindon
Starting Member

2 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  18:36:56  Show Profile
I have recently been diagnosed with clinical depression,I have been put on a new medication depekote i suffer avoidant personality as well.My body is sore all over,i am really down. I seen a doctor a few years ago who diagnosed a mood disorder. I feel as if i have bi polar,.How long can clinical deppresion last for i have suffered now about 10 years.I am also a recovering alcoholic.
Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

86214 Posts
Gratitude: 31682
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestAttentionI agree

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  18:57:06  Show Profile

Hi Lindon,

Good to have you with us.

Fortunately I do not suffer, like you, of clinical depression more situational/reactionary depression so it episodic in tenure. Yours I maintain is much debilitating.

"How long can clinical depression last" ... how long is a piece of string... I don't mean to appear flippant, what i am trying to say is it as far as I'm aware depends on individual circumstances and the severity of same, I suggest.

You share that you are a recovering alcoholic, as one myself, I do know that alcohol depresses the central nervous system more than any other over th counter medication.

How long have you been off the drink? If not very long it maybe that your depression has yet to lift.

Keep posting, and I and hopefully others here will respond further to your issues. That is the reason Doctor Long set up this website so that we can support one and other along life's path.

It is not known as "my therapy" for nothing! lol

Cheers with out a drink, David

There are people who cross our lives in tiny fractions of time, during the briefest of encounters, and yet they leave an indelible mark on our hearts and in our minds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ8ahL8LsEQ
Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  19:15:20  Show Profile

I hope you don't mind but I have asked Lynn to engage with you, for she is Bipolar, and may be able to offer you additional support Lindon. As she is logged in , it may be that she will be with you shortly, so remain with us just now, if that is at all possible.

Yours in friendship, David

I was wondering do you attend AA... I did for many a year and still top up from time to time when things get out of hand. I think it a wonderful fellowship!

There are people who cross our lives in tiny fractions of time, during the briefest of encounters, and yet they leave an indelible mark on our hearts and in our minds.

Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  19:30:53  Show Profile

PS., If you are unable to stick around currently Lindon, Lynn I know will get back to you, it may be that she is involved with the many tasks in her home life.

The thing is, when she does get around to responding, you will be alerted my e-mail that she and or other members, have responded to your request for further insight in to your personal issues.

David

Go to Top of Page

lynn2150

21329 Posts
Gratitude: 9217
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  21:59:46  Show Profile
HI Linden !
How may I help?
10 yrs depressed is an awfully long time.
I also questioned my many therapists, about whether I was BP or not.
I drank too, off and on through the years.
I was seriously out of control mood wise.
My only meds were a mild tranquillizer, and Paxil 40 mg.
Far too much for a Bi Polar.
My salvation came, from a Recovery Group, on line.
They advised me to attend 12 Step Meetings.
12 Steppers advise me to run, for an assessment of my mental health.
This lead to a refferal to a Psychiatrist.
I was classed as a Rapid Cycler,
After two years of following me, Doctor, asked me to try Lithium which I totally hated.
But like it now,
He added Seroquel, for sleep, actually is a mood stabilizer.
and, under his direction, I weaned off of 20 mg of Paxil, He said it made me too high. agreed.
I was allowed to keep my clonazepam, for now, and must wean off when able.

Many years ago I also thought I had BP.
I knew the anti depressants weren''t working.
I was down alot, had awful mood swings, and a very bad temper.
I would snap, for no reason at all. Terrifying my family, my son.
My mother found it funny, Oh Lynn is having another fit.
The drinking caused liver damage, maybe the paxil too.
Drinking on paxil was very bad.
I finally got sick of being sick. and stopped.
I avoid all people and places where drink is served.
So far so good, save for the occaisional beer here or there, nothing serious.
So, does any of this ring bells, with you Lindon?

I think, that, if you question your DX, it is essential that you seek out a proper Psychiatrist, and start on proper medication.

The right meds, can make all the difference in the world.

Oh, forgive me, Linon, I have just read you are on a mood stabilizer, Depekote,

I am not really familiar with it,
I wonder if Doc should be told of your symptoms, and, if you should be on a light dose of anti depressant?
It is very important to work with your Doctor,
I also let years go by with out checking in with mine.
Am glad you are in Recovery.
That's wonderful, Lindon.
PPS- David, was right on , I was at the store, then out to feed my little stray cats.
We had company tonight, two Racoons.
My animals keep me going.
I hope you write back, I fear I have over whelmed you with info.
eek.

Note to self: ask God what His plans are, for me, for the day.
Go to Top of Page

lindon
Starting Member

2 Posts
Gratitude: 3

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  07:05:24  Show Profile
Thank you david and lynn firstly david my last drink was march,which was a few cans of beer. I am trying to do my steps odaat. I was involved in aa for a long time. I cant seem to get out the house and am full of fear and anxiety.Thank you as well lynn i am on dothepin for deppresion its not lifting my mood.I have terrible mood swings,and anger and my family have suffered. I am up and down crying daily and very scared to the point of feeling suicidal. Its not self pity. I have a woman doctor who says i might be bi polar. I went to the psychiatrist a few weeks ago and he said more of a clinical deppresion.I think my doctor is fed up with me. I keep changing doctors,i find it hard to talk to them, and feel in the past few years i should have been hospitalised.I also seem to push people away from me,i hate being like this.I cant do housework or think straight. I thank you both for taking the time to listen and i want to recover from this,my behaviour in the past with doctors through alcohol has been terrible. I also have had long periods of sobriety.
Go to Top of Page

lynn2150

21329 Posts
Gratitude: 9217

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  08:21:29  Show Profile
You dear Soul.
Please take heart Lindon, sometimes it does take time to find the right medicine.
I am not familiar yet, with your anti depressant.
must look it up.
If I don't sleep well, my life is horrid.
I also find it hard to concentrate, the least little sound, can get me off track,
I need complete quiet to work, house work especially, and driving.
It sounds like your anxiety levels are high.
I detest anxiety,
I wonder if your Doctor would prescribe an anti anxiety med?
I too am pretty much a loner.
I'll say hi and bye, then scurry off.
Are you living in the city?
I do, and will wait until nightfall to go out most of the time.
I am glad that you are being pro active, with your care.
Talking to Doctors, is hard, especially Psychiatrists.
I always wonder what they are thinking?
My GP and I go back 25 years, (?)
He is very easy to talk to.
and I trust him. and his Pharmacist,
She is very good to me.
Keeps an eye on me, checks my meds, makes sure they 'get along well".
She and I even share the same birthdate, May 15th.
I am rambling, Lindon, the main thing is,,,,,I want you to feel comfortable to speak freely.
We don't judge, we have all been through the wringer, with BP and Depression, drinking, drug use. trying to cure our selves.
Drugs, illegal drugs don't work. I find.
Well, I will go, and I really hope, you stay, get to know us, and find peace in your life.
It can be done.!
Lynn ODAAT

Note to self: ask God what His plans are, for me, for the day.
Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  21:46:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lindon

Thank you david and lynn firstly david my last drink was march,which was a few cans of beer. I am trying to do my steps odaat. I was involved in aa for a long time. I cant seem to get out the house and am full of fear and anxiety.Thank you as well lynn i am on dothepin for depression its not lifting my mood.I have terrible mood swings,and anger and my family have suffered. I am up and down crying daily and very scared to the point of feeling suicidal. Its not self pity. I have a woman doctor who says i might be bi polar. I went to the psychiatrist a few weeks ago and he said more of a clinical deppresion.I think my doctor is fed up with me. I keep changing doctors,i find it hard to talk to them, and feel in the past few years i should have been hospitalised.I also seem to push people away from me,i hate being like this.I cant do housework or think straight. I thank you both for taking the time to listen and i want to recover from this,my behaviour in the past with doctors through alcohol has been terrible. I also have had long periods of sobriety.

I can identify with you predicament in not wanting to leave the house... that was me many a time. That I would suggest again like me was due to the symptoms of anxiety and depression. I am prescribed Citalopram a SSRI anti depressant unlike the heavy duty meds of the past to treat same I find it very helpful without the nasty side effects the former gave me.

The fact you have suffered now for years with your medical issues makes we wonder what it is that has not helped you move on somewhat. Have you had any talking treatments. I found that invaluable. Coming here and engaging on a regular basis has also proved worthwhile.

I Don't know where in the world you reside nor shall i ask you, here in the UK where I live England I found the Samaritan organisation a great help when I have felt really down and thoughts of ending it all have come up. You don't have to go out to engage with them and I don't think that it matters where you live to engage with them on line.

The link to them is as follows....

http://www.samaritans.org/

even just reading their literature might prove insightful. They are open 24/7

I also receive a regular e-mail from an AA group which you can conduct on line also.

http://groups.google.com/group/12-step-recovery?hl=en&pli=1

May I suggest that if at all possible you might like to correspond in the Bipolar section it is our most frequented site and therefore a good possibility that you will receive a wider platform. Just a thought you if you don't feel comfortable doing so then please don't. You don't have to diagnosed with Bipolar disorder to qualify. I'm not but it has become home from home to me.

http://www.mytherapy.com/discussion/default.asp?group=4

In the meanwhile I trust you continue to share with us for we are here to help. And if you can muster the courage to get out a little it may prove therapeutic.

Yours in community friendship, David

Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  05:40:45  Show Profile

Hi Lindon,

I find this site from the BBC invaluable it covers a wide range of mental health issues.... Herewith an informative on on Bipolar and tell tale signs of same!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/headroom/wellbeing/guides/rr_bipolar.shtml

Cheers, David

Go to Top of Page

loggedin
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3838 Posts
Gratitude: 2525

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  19:12:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lindon

I have recently been diagnosed with clinical depression,I have been put on a new medication depekote i suffer avoidant personality as well.My body is sore all over,i am really down. I seen a doctor a few years ago who diagnosed a mood disorder. I feel as if i have bi polar,.How long can clinical deppresion last for i have suffered now about 10 years.I am also a recovering alcoholic.

Clinical Depression lasts until you become senile and can't remember what you were thinking!

Let yourself believe that we are born innocent -Sarah McLachlin
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0