Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Community Improvements
 Regular Meetings With Voice & Text Chat
 Should We Have Regular Small Group Meetings?
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic 
Page: of 5

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Dear Members,

Should We Become More Like Alcoholics Anonymous?

Mark and I are studying the success of self-help groups like Alcoholics Anonymous. We believe that there are many features of these successful self-help groups that we could incorporate into MyTherapy.

Namely:

• Weekly small group meetings (of 6 people or less) where members are anonymous, but welcomed and befriended by the other group members.

• Structured meetings with a moderator, clear administrative policies, and a one-hour time limit.

• Meetings in which each member is invited to talk (if they want).

• Meetings which offer educational handouts.

• Meetings with a specific focus (e.g., alcoholism) or topic (e.g., "gratitude").

• Weekly meetings which continue for months so that members get to know each other very well (but still remain anonymous).
We Have The Internet Expertise To Do This

Mark and I could add this small group meeting capability to MyTherapy. These meetings would incorporate all of the previously mentioned features, especially:

• "Conference call" capability using video, voice or text for group communication.

• Having a moderator to ensure that everyone gets a chance to talk.

• Having free computerized diagnosis so that new members join the small group meeting that is best suited for their needs.

• Having free diaries so that small group members can, if they want, share their progress with other small group members.

• Strictly enforced anonymity so that members don't use these small groups as a dating service.
Why Should We Do This?

Research is showing that, with mental illness:

• Many individuals never seek help for their mental illness; hence suffer needlessly.

• Many individuals never have the opportunity to talk to another person with their illness; hence suffer in isolation.

• Even in parts of the world where mental health services are lacking; individuals can be helped by internet-based self-help groups.
Thus we are making this proposal to expand our MyTherapy community services.

What do you think about this proposal?

Phil Long MD
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Are you in favor of our community having weekly small group meetings (of 15 people or less) where members are anonymous?
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Should these weekly meetings have a moderator who would ensure (electronically) that everyone got to speak and that only one person spoke at a time?
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Should there be different weekly meetings for different illnesses? (Thus there would be a weekly meeting for Schizophrenia, another for Bipolar Disorder, another for Anxiety Disorders, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Should we offer computerized psychiatric diagnosis to our new members (since many may not know what their diagnosis is)?

In this way, our new members could join a weekly small group specifically focused on recovery from his/her illness.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Should we offer a computerized diary to our new members so that they can record the changes in their symptoms and treatments over time? (This diary would also graph their progress and statistically identify the success/failure of their treatments.)
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Should the anonymity (i.e., never revealing the real life identity) of members in these weekly groups be strictly enforced?
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  17:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Moderating these weekly groups is an essential, but time-consuming, service. Would you have time to moderate a weekly, one hour small group?
Go to Top of Page

khaz
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

8301 Posts
Gratitude: 5753

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  18:47:25  Show Profile
Thank You Dr Long.
Go to Top of Page

metasegue

4946 Posts
Gratitude: 2516

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  23:23:29  Show Profile
Dr. Long,
When I was hospitalized after my first full blown manic episode I
gained a great deal of insight from other patients sharing a smoke
at 3AM in a long banished cubicle. The honesty of spontaneous
responses makes them very valuable. Posting gives you time to alter
them and thus diminish their raw impact. I think we can enhance the
process of healing with the group concept.
Thanks, metasegue

"God is a comedian playing to an audience
that's afraid to laugh"
Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

hercules21

5803 Posts
Gratitude: 2829

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  02:17:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Administrator

Question:

Should there be different weekly meetings for different illnesses? (Thus there would be a weekly meeting for Schizophrenia, another for Bipolar Disorder, another for Anxiety Disorders, etc.)

I answered no to this question. I gave it some thought and realised there are only like 5 of us with sz on this message board as regulars and if 2 or 3 of us can't make a meeting in a specific week it will be weak. So maybe we would get bigger turnouts if it was just everyone together from all illnesses. I don't mind hearing about bipolar issues.

I don't have a strong opinion on this so I am happy to be out voted. I realise that ideally it would be a different meeting for each illness as that will keep people's interest and be more relevant.

Go to Top of Page

Rainbowfish

5628 Posts
Gratitude: 5067

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  02:32:25  Show Profile
What a great idea! I wonder if we should provide 2 days at 2 different time zones? That way if someone can't attend the meetings because of their work or sleep schedule there will be another meeting. I chose 'unsure' on anonymity simply because I don't quite understand. I think we should have our names we use here, for me Rainbowfish, but I would say definately no real names or personal info! I have attended these types of chats before, just a word of caution, if we have a limit then some may become frustrated because they can't 'get in on' the conversation. It might be more realistic to have a 90 minute timeframe, it goes so fast! When people join in they still need to be welcomed even if it's not their turn to talk. I would also like to allow feedback from others after we talk. This can be done by asking them permission, let's use me as an example, say I've got some anxiety issues, the moderator would simply ask something like "Rainbowfish are you comfortable with some feedback?" Some people are not.

RAINBOWFISH
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  11:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

What would be the ideal duration of a regular weekly small group meeting:
A = 30 minutes
B = 60 minutes
C = 90 minutes
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  11:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

Should these weekly small group meetings have rotating leadership? That is, should there be elected, rotating leadership (e.g., the group elects its own moderator who would serve in this position for a specific length of time).
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  11:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
During a weekly small group meeting, it is essential that every group member have sufficient time to talk and share.

The "conference call" voice over the internet technology which we will use will also place a physical limit on group size.

If each member were to talk at each meeting, you would divide the meeting duration by the number of group members to give the average length of time per meeting one member could talk. For example, if a meeting lasted 60 minutes, and had 10 members, each member would speak for less than 6 minutes.

Question:

What would be an ideal size for a weekly small group meeting:
A = 5
B = 6
C = 7
D = 8
E = 9
F = 10
G = 11
H = 12
I = 13
J = 14
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  11:52:43  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Question:

If, due to illness, a group moderator is no longer able to function properly as a group moderator:

A = Should the group members be able to vote to replace the ill moderator (before his/her term was to expire)?

B = Should the group members ask the administrative staff of MyTherapy to intervene.

C = Should the group members simply stop attending that small group, and seek membership in another group.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic   
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0