My mom behaves really weird!

Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sonica90
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  03:50:50  Show Profile
Hey,

I joined your forum just today and seeing the kind of help you provide, I really hope you will help me too get out of my problem.

Actually, I have a question for my mom. So, I would like to describe her current life style and basic nature to have more clarity on her problem.

She is 50 years old and deaf (80%)since few years and to talk to her I have to be really very close to her ears as her ear machine is not of much help and also she always avoids going to doctor for this and any kind of sickness she has.. (I feel that is due to her lack of confidence). She wakes up late in the morning and takes hours to complete the routine like to get brush done, she takes 1-2 hrs and not just routine but all the kind of work she does, she just keeps on doing the same thing for hours, I have also observed, she gets lost in her random thoughts in between of her work. She also feels that she is being constantly viewed or heard by everyone and whatever she sees and read in TV and newspaper, she thinks that is published for her and is indicating something and so she starts thinking to decode the mystery. Also, she feels that some of our neighbors are constantly creating certain sounds to harass her (which is not true as I can hear that there are no such sounds)and so she gets angry and starts throwing things (specially when she is alone in her space like bathroom, kitchen etc), she also mummers and abuse when she is alone.

Me and my father have made her understand these things so many times but she is not ready to accept this and also denies to get psychiatrist help. We really love her and want her to be happy but it is not the same when it comes to my mom, she dislikes my father despite of knowing that how much he cares and do good to her. Fortunately, she does not hate me the way she does to my father. I don't know what is wrong with her? Sometimes I also suspect that she is alright, just she does all these intentionally to harass my father... because when she recently went to stay to her relative's home where she was behaving normal!!! I don't know why she is doing this? Is she okay? if not then what we should do to make her healthy?

Please help,
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

24351 Posts
Gratitude: 10921
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  04:57:16  Show Profile
welcome try the schizophrenia, bipolar ans socializing with all community members and try youtube.com and google her symptoms. eg hearing things etc and theres many things that could cause these behaviious some may sound out in left field , but bipolar disorder, anxiety,ocd, thoiught disorder , could be relevent but im just giving thought im not a doctor . how much and what kind of television shows does your familiy watch her two

hi,
please pardon the typos I'm using the speech recognition dictation program. Thank you. PS you all rock
Go to Top of Page

chelle25
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

7717 Posts
Gratitude: 4597
Very caringVery wiseVery honestI agree

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  05:45:07  Show Profile
I would take her in to get a psychiatric evaluation

Michelle

Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

86214 Posts
Gratitude: 31682
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestAttentionI agree

Posted - 01/28/2014 :  15:36:45  Show Profile

Welcome Sonica

I go along with what Chelle has indicated!

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch,
a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment,
or the smallest act of caring,
all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia, author (1924-1998)
Go to Top of Page

sonica90
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  05:49:56  Show Profile
Hi and thank you all for your kind suggestions :)

Yeah, even I believe that she should be treated and observed one to one because not every person has the same symptoms of any particular illness or may be she is suffering with multiple type of mental disorder... but still am researching about her behavior as stigmastomper suggested. But the main problem is, she thinks that she is okay and we need psychiatric help!! and so she has just denied to visit even once to psychiatrist. That's the reason of getting help from public forums like this.

I think she is in curable stage and so I am more concerned about our behavior with her. We try to be as normal as we can but sometimes we enter into verbal arguments and fights due to such behavior. We have also tried talking with her on this that what is the actual problem and why she thinks like this? but no such success... We try to provide her all sort of comforts in every possible manner but still she is not satisfied and stays unhappy and angry..
Go to Top of Page

khaz
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

8301 Posts
Gratitude: 5753
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  11:28:18  Show Profile
I have been psychotic and delusional....you can talk till your blue in the face but what she thinks is real to her.

If you have a family gp....talk to him about your concerns.

She has no insight into her condition.

The best you can do is keep her safe...watch for any indicators she may harm herself or some one else.

Truly medication may be all that is required to vring your Mum back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0