Ancient Diet Works Wonders

New Topic  Reply to Topic  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 03/19/2016 :  22:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Reply to Topic

2,200 Years Ago, The Stoics Practiced This Amazing Diet Technique

Ancient Greek Philosophers Would Fast Twice A Week To Strengthen Their Willpower
    The "new" 5:2 diet is actually a copy of the diet that the ancient Greek Stoic philosophers used.

These Stoics would totally fast twice a week in order to strengthen their willpower. The "new" 5:2 diet consists of partially fasting 2 days a week. On the "new" 5:2 diet, you eat 600 calories on two fasting days per week. Both the Stoic and the 5:2 diet allow you to pick which 2 days a week you want to fast.
I've Lost 11 Pounds In 19 Days On This Stoic Diet
    My diet consists of completely fasting every 3 days. The first day, I eat normally. The second day, I cut down by about a third. The third day, I have no food - but I'm careful to keep fully hydrated.

I survive the third day by drinking clamato juice or mineral water spiked with an artificial berry-flavored sweetener.

Previously, I had lost 14 pounds by eating a more healthy diet, but in the past few months my weight plateaued. This Stoic diet really got the ball rolling again. Using these two diets, in total I have lost 25 pounds.

I previously lost 14 pounds by eating:

• No sugar

• No starches (i.e., rice, potatoes, corn) - but this is where I cheated.

• No red meat.

• No seconds (which, for me, was really hard)

• No pastries or other processed foods

• No dairy products except milk on my morning cereal

• No snacks except for oranges or apples

• Oatmeal-cornmeal cereal (with blueberries, bananas and raisins) for breakfast (yummy, and oatmeal drops your cholesterol)

• Salad for lunch or 1 egg cooked with spinach (that's really yummy too)

• Lots of vegetables with either fish or chicken for dinner

• Only 1 restaurant meal (dinner) per week - this puts on 1-2 pounds, but I really enjoy getting out with friends
Watch Out For Medical Problems
    I had to lose weight because of my heart attack risk.

This Stoic Diet isn't for you if you are diabetic or have another medical condition that would make rapid weight loss dangerous. Check with your doctor.

Also, there is no point in fasting if you binge-eat the following day. The day after your fasting day has to consist of a healthy food intake. Don't eat double to reward yourself for the previous day of fasting.

If your present diet is filled with sugar; it will be virtually impossible to totally fast for a day. The hunger from sugar withdrawal is overwhelming. You must take all the sugar out of your diet before you try this Stoic Diet - or it will be just too painful, and you will give up.

For the past 2.5 years, I have been going to the gym for 1 hour 5 days/wk. It really helped my muscle strength, but it didn't help me lose weight. I am going to add walking one hour 3 times a week to my exercise regime, now that the winter rains are stopping.

I will keep you posted on my progress - and especially if I gain all this weight back.

Phil Long MD
    Administrator

Jimmy Kimmel lost a ton of weight on this radical diet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0