Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  13:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Dear Members,

We have added a new (optional) feature to your Profile. In your Profile, you can now click on the "Edit Your Profile" link to add:

• Your diagnosis

• Your treatments

• The effectiveness and side-effects of your medications
In this way, our members can see how other members with the same diagnosis are doing on their treatments. Eventually, if enough members share this information, we can compare the average effectiveness of different treatments.

Again we stress that this information is strictly optional. However, because our members are anonymous, this sharing of treatment-response information may be very helpful.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 325
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  20:34:46  Show Profile
Dr. Long,
I went in and added the info, but two of the pharmaceutical treatements I take are not listed...Nortryptiline and L-Trytophan. I know L-Tryptophan is not really an antidepressant, it's an amino acid...but I think it might be helping me sleep and maybe even helping my depression and maybe it would help others. Can these be added to the list please?

Also, one more thing. What do we do if we fit in between diagnosises? I am "technically in a Chronic MDD, but I have huge cycling into hypomanic phases, but they do not last long enough to be considered Bipolar. In the hospital they said I was bipolar, but my pdoc, who knows me well says I am somewhere at the far end of MDD and the low end of BP.

I feel like I am stuck in no mans land....You can be cyclothymic (but my depression is too severe for that)....Why isn't there a term for those of us who are the opposite...who go severely low, and head towards hypomanic territory, but don't quite make the cut?
...Aqua

Hi Aquamarine,

Yes, Bipolar II Disorder is the diagnostic catergory used for individuals with repeated major depressive episodes and hypomania.

I just noticed that all the medications starting with "N" are missing from our list. I will ask Mark to correct this boo-boo, and add L-tryptophan to our list.

Thanks for your excellent help.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Mspriss
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  13:25:31  Show Profile
I was wondering if you could be more specific about this cycling thing and if you are at the low end of it, what makes it cycling. What would I look for in myself if I were looking for cycling?

MsPriss
Go to Top of Page

tiberiu
Starting Member

2 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  11:13:04  Show Profile
I haven't experienced any psychological treatment yet, but I am training to become a psychotherapist so wish me luck.
Go to Top of Page

94Kipp
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  17:31:01  Show Profile
Hi, I'm new to your community. My diagnosis is I guess atypical depression and severe professional burnout. I am in my 4th week of using Parnate - I'm not real impressed yet.. I'm at 60mg (started out on 30mg).
I've tried so many different kinds of anti-depressants, in patient and outpatient visits at our psych center and went through 6 sessions of ECT in February (I hated it). I've heard a lot of good things about Parnate and am still waiting on the improvement. I will be so disappointed if this doesn't work and don't want my Dr. to give up on me. Right now I feel like I'm on a roller coaster. My Dr. says he can see a big difference from a few months ago and I can say that I have improved (I don't cry through out sessions and don't talk about killing myself), but he can't feel what's inside of me which is close to the same plus nnow feelings social phobia and of guilt since he'd taken me out of work last July...money is getting short - I have no idea when I will feel well enough to work...

Currently, I see my counselor every week and my Psychiatrist every other week.

**Probably more info than you're looking for...sorry
Go to Top of Page

loggedin
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3838 Posts
Gratitude: 2525

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  00:57:46  Show Profile
Good luck Tiberiu.

Let yourself believe that we are born innocent -Sarah McLachlin
Go to Top of Page

loggedin

3838 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  01:01:20  Show Profile
Kipp,

DON'T APOLOGIZE! We're all here to talk and to listen!

If you are not crying as much, and you are not thinking about suicide, you are doing MUCH better! (when you're depressed you tend to de-value alot of things; but think about it: having a different view regarding suicide can make the difference between life and death. That is a HUGE step).

Don't freak out about all the drugs and therapies that didn't work. If the stress of work (burnout) was a major factor in your depression, there's no reason they WOULD work. It sounds like changing your job status might have been necessary for your overall health.

Some drugs can take a few weeks to build up in your system before the amount becomes effective. Give it some more time.

It's a common strategy to have a prepared statement that you say to yourself to combat negative thoughts. I'm hyper-vigilant, so one of the things I have ready to say to myself is "It doesn't matter what people think." Of course, I don't say this to my wife. But when I'm walking the dogs and I think maybe someone is looking at me to see if I pick up the poop or not..."It doesn't matter what people think."

You've got alot of changes going on. Change itself can be difficult. Try to be patient with yourself. You might try, "This is going to take time." or "I've already made progess." Whatever works for you.

Go to Top of Page

loggedin

3838 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  01:31:17  Show Profile
MsPriss,

Cycling means going back and forth between depression and mania.
If you are depressed but don't have manic episodes, you are uni(1)polar and therefore don't go back and forth. If you are bi(2)polar, you go back and forth between lows(depression) and highs(mania).

Of course, sadness and exhilaration are normal emotions that everyone has. It's when they are out of control and messing up your life that they considered an illness.

What are you looking for in yourself?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0