Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  13:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Dear Members,

We are experimenting with displaying a "Gratitude" score immediately below where we display the member's number of posts (beneath his/her picture/Avatar).

This "Gratitude" score is the sum of the number of times that member's posts have been rated by other members as:

• "Very wise"

• "Very caring"

• "Very honest"

• "Very funny"

• "I agree"
We don't want this "Gratitude" score to be misinterpreted as a "popularity" score. Simply this "Gratitude" score is our way of publicly thanking our members for their excellent contributions to our community. This "Gratitude' score primarily reflects that a member has contributed hundreds of hours to our community writing posts that our membership has found to be very wise/caring/honest/funny. It would be a shame if, as a community, we didn't thank these members for their monumental efforts on our behalf.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this new feature.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

aquamarine
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1238 Posts
Gratitude: 325
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  09:45:49  Show Profile
I guess I believe in thanking people/showing people I care for it's own sake, not because there is a reward waiting for me to do so. Also, it may encourage people to say they agree, even if they do not.

I know for myself I have a really hard time showing I disagree, because I fear rejection. Only recognizing "positive" feedback is an implicit way of saying disagreement is not good. For me, being able to disagree constructively here is a good way to practice for out in the real world where I have an extraordinarily hard time saying no, or disagreeing with anyone.
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

Amie (inactive)
Super Member (250+ posts)

746 Posts
Gratitude: 7

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  22:08:50  Show Profile
Hi,

I am okay with this and now have a score of 2 although I don't understand how I got that because my posts never get those voting buttons underneath it.

Amie
Go to Top of Page

Lost girl

1360 Posts
Gratitude: 411
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  22:41:23  Show Profile
Hi Dr. Long!

The "Gratitude Score" is a wonderful new feature. We all like to know when we are appreciated, made someone smile, or helped them through a difficult time. This brings me comfort in knowing I made a positive contribution to an MT Members day.

I look at this feature as a positive addition to the site because I choose to look at it positively...

The "who's online" features & the additions in the Mood calendar are first rate also.

I appreciate all you & Mark are doing to improve our My Therapy home. Thank you both: your work has not gone un-noticed by me.

On My personal "Gratitude Score" I give you both a 10/10!!!!!

Sincerely,
Lost girl

LOST GIRL
This too shall pass. Always walk on the sunny side of the street!
Embrace nature with all your senses. Remember an act of kindness. Be mindful of bridges you burn behind you...
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  11:40:49  Show Profile
I definately agree with Lost Girl about all you and Mark have done for this board. I am sure it is an incredible amount of work for both of you. Thanks for all you have done.
...Aqua
Go to Top of Page

Trish.

734 Posts
Gratitude: 175

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  01:37:32  Show Profile
Is this not the rating system by any other name.

Trish.
Go to Top of Page

SheerLin
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3918 Posts
Gratitude: 216

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  03:36:20  Show Profile
Dr. Phil, it seems I am rating your rating. There are some who look upon this as a contest, thats what I thought at first. Do we really need this thankyou thing. Thanks is said when you see, loving, honesty,funny and so on.

SheerLin

`Life is a Wonderous Journey, not a Destination.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  11:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Dear Members,

I really appreciate your feedback about our new "Gratitude" score. This "Gratitude" score is unique to our support community. Presently opinions are mixed regarding this score.

The "Gratitude" score was introduced to be part of the glue that binds our community together. The concept was that, if members know that their posts were highly appreciated, they would be more motivated to contribute to our community.

Many individuals volunteer in organizations where they are seldom thanked for their work. Thus they leave because they (correctly) perceive that the organization didn't appreciate their hundreds of hours of volunteer work.

As crude as the "Gratitude" score is; I think that it is our best way of thanking our members for their wisdom and caring.

I personally like the democratic feature of the "Gratitude" score. This score is simply the sum of all the "positive" anonymous votes that our members have cast. There is no favoritism involved. The "Gratitude" score mathematically reflects the views of all of our members.

I am still very open to some other, anonymous, democratic way we could thank our wise and compassionate members. Thus I look forward to further discussion on this topic.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Freestar

325 Posts
Gratitude: 121

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  04:57:14  Show Profile
I can understand both sides of the argument for and against gratitude ratings but i favour ratings because i notice in myself that i am more conscious to be caring in my response and if it makes others think before they type too then i hope this improves the support offered by the site as a whole.
Go to Top of Page

PolarOne

456 Posts
Gratitude: 138

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  01:10:18  Show Profile
Good points Chump, can see both sides too.
I clicked on all the positives for your post, like someone else has done, and your score remains at 20! Guess some threads aren't counted in the scoring...
2 of my favorite posters on this site (who haven't been around in a while) have a combined gratitude of, er, 3 I saw recently! 1000's of posts too.
Go to Top of Page

aquamarine

1238 Posts
Very caringVery wise

Posted - 05/23/2008 :  21:01:13  Show Profile
What does the newer gratitude icon: "Attention" mean? is it like Notify admin? or like "Interesting"...and if it is either of this why the repetition? Just curious because it seems to me it means "Attention! notify admin"?
...aqua
Go to Top of Page

JamieF
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2008 :  15:21:25  Show Profile
I am not sure if this is where I should post this, but I think that the gratitude system is actually a very good one. I came to this site at a complete loss as to what to what to do, and made a post. I didnt really even expect a response. But, within hours another member, w1cam, replied. Not only did he reply, but through example showed me that there was someone else who had gone through something vey similar to my problem. VERY similar. In sharing his background it also showed me that I can heal over time, and has actually helped me to face the horror of what I went through. I have a long hard road ahead, and I plan on healling without hatred, which i know is not going to be easy, but I will do it. The gratitude button is a small way of saying thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0