Viewing Who Is Currently Online
 Cymbalta withdrawal

Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rivers
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  06:04:38  Show Profile
Help. I am dizzy and nausesous(sp). My blood pressure is low. I have headaches. I stopped Cymbalta 5 days ago. Could this be the problem? What do I do?
Go to Top of Page

cymbaltahater
Starting Member

3 Posts
Gratitude: 1

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  11:09:43  Show Profile
Yes it is def from Cymbalta, hang in there.. i'm on week 3 and i'm just starting to feel better!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lakeside
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:02:00  Show Profile
I have been taking Cymbalta for four months now 60 mg per day and now it is time to stop.....It did help my symptoms but the side effects were gaining ground.....Do I go cold turkey or wean off....How long will I feel like hell ???????
Go to Top of Page

samm20065
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  19:23:52  Show Profile
I have been on Cymbalta 60 mg for 4 years. I've been in those situations where my RX runs out on a weekend or I decide I don't want to take it anymore and I know it really messed me up. Never stop suddenly. Your pharmacist will give you 2 or 3 pills if your RX has run out and it's a weekend. They know how serious it is. That being said, I am trying to get off on my own by opening the capsules and displacing micro-beads. I fully believe you need to taper at around 2% for 14 days. Don't change your taper amount every day. Your brain literally does have to re-program so give it a chance. Also, people may want to check out The Road Back which has steps for a pre-taper and taper and detox for psych drugs like this. I have every confidence that getting off this drug is doable but it needs to be planned, thought out and supported. Good job to everyone!!
Go to Top of Page

Templeton589
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  19:24:00  Show Profile
Hi. I contacted my physician today because I also stopped taking cymbalta five days ago. My blood pressure is low, I'm dizzy with prickly skin and sweats, exhaustion and I have been having regular moments of disorientation when I am moving around. I wasn't sure if this was normal and began looking to the internet to find others who have been post cymbalta. I have recently scheduled an appointment a week from now and I hope to begin feeling balanced soon. From what I have been reading from others it seems to take at least two weeks. This has been discouraging to learn, but valuable non the less. Stick in there. You definitely are not alone in this.
Go to Top of Page

Dee1228
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  20:44:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lakeside

I have been taking Cymbalta for four months now 60 mg per day and now it is time to stop.....It did help my symptoms but the side effects were gaining ground.....Do I go cold turkey or wean off....How long will I feel like hell ???????

DO NOT STOP COLD TURKEY! Start taking your dosage down over the next few weeks. If you just stop you will feel like hell. Also once you get down to taking 30 or 20 mg every other day and your nexgt steop is to stop try taking 5HTP, St John's wart and melotonin at night. It will help you get thru the day and sleep at night. Also, I have found a vitamin called "Happy Camper" it help during the day. I am on my 3rd week of being off cymbalta and don;t know what I would have done with out the vitamins.

I still have some side affect but nothing like some people have reported.
Go to Top of Page

BenEBoy
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  18:09:18  Show Profile
I only take 'Happy Pill' over the winter for Seasonal Affective Disorder, so I'm quite used to the bungee-jump off the meds but Cymbalta is QUITE bizarre.

Wow... what a ride!! I'll start off by saying I'm happy I've only had one cranky-angry-violently-inclined day since I started tapering 10 days ago.

That said, I have to say the "Brain Zaps" are horrible!!! It's kinda like a hyper-ventilating, hold your breath for 10 minutes in your brain, where did my eyeballs go, which way is front, Holy Ghost- did the earth just disappear and come back feeling!!!!!!!!!

I'm convinced it's related to blood pressure but being that my short term memory has gone to the birds in this process, I can't remember to get it checked.

...other than that, it's not that bad. I've found that an energy drink in the morning and/or working out in the evening helps with the Brain Zaps.
Go to Top of Page

NelleBly
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  00:21:23  Show Profile
I'm new to the online forum world, but when I realized how much I really didn't want to be on Cymbalta, I started looking for people who had experienced the withdrawal I was feeling. I went to Florida for a family reunion and forgot to fill my prescription, so instead of talking to my doctor first, I tapered off of it in what I assumed was a decent pace. I soon ran out, and didn't want to pay the outrageous co-pay when I wanted off anyway. Cold turkey (somewhat) is a very bad idea. It's shocking how horrible discontinuing Cymbalta is when you don't taper correctly.

I just wanted to let people know that it seems like there are a lot of us out there that are amazed at how much it affected our bodies, and it's nice to read about other people with the same Cymbalta woes.

So, finally after about 3 weeks, the sparks, jitters, night sweats, itching, insomnia and other withdrawal symptoms I've never experienced before have started to go away. I've only seemed to have a few of those "cranky-angry-violently-inclined" days since the start, and my eyeballs are starting to come back into focus
Go to Top of Page

leannsgranny
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  20:42:38  Show Profile
I had been on cymbalta for 5 years and decided to go off after being diagnosed with cardiomypathy-heart failure- of which one of my doctors suspected was from another drug I was taking along with cymbalta called seroquel. I am only 54 years old with absolutely no family history of heart problems-a prime example of what some prescription drugs can do to a person-for me never again!! Anyway, to make a long story short, I want to go off everything except for my heart meds. I went off seroquel first-no problem! Well, next was cymbalta. I weaned off slowly for about a month. Well, this is my 8th day completly without it and I feel like I am going crazy. I am weepy, I am dizzy all day, I get sensitive over the least things said to me. My poor husband doesnt know what to say to me anymore! Will this get any better and also how long does it take to get completely out of ones system?
Go to Top of Page

teague1997
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  07:13:13  Show Profile
Hi dear Cymbalta patients,
I have been on some type of antidepressant for at least 5 years. Cymbalta for at least 2 of those 5. I have forgotten what I would naturally be on no meds. I tapered by my Dr. reducing me from 60 - 30 ML about 9 months ago. I am 53 yrs old, breast cancer survivor for 2 yrs and recently needed to file for bankruptcy. Of course my Dr. said this is not a good time to come off of Cymbalta. However, recently there was research that came out that Antianxiety/antidepression meds can interfere with Temoxifin. Which is an Estrogen blocker that prevents cancer from coming back in women that are Estrogen positive. This is a BIG deal! First of all I had to ask my Oncologist about this research instead of him contacting me. Then when I questioned both my Oncologist & GP they both agreed the Cymbalta could cause a diminishing effect to the Temoxafin. So here I am going thru the process of coming off the Cymbalta and I get shortness of breath when I walk up the stairs/not when I walk on my treadmill. Dizziness when I turn my head. Crying jaggs. Extreme fatigue by about 4pm. Racing heart. Panic feeling in my stomach. Frequent urination and bowel movement.
Please give me hope that this will pass. I know everyone is different but me Dr. tells me it is my Anxiety not the Cymbalta that is causing my symptoms. She said the Cymbalta is out of your system in 3 days. Dose anyone have advise.
Go to Top of Page

Nnaik
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:19:57  Show Profile
First of all, Thank God for technology where we can google these things and get answers because I am starting to think that Doctors are just Drug dealers and are in so much rush to make money that they never take time to understand the problem so it gets diagnosed well. You got depression? Okay we got a new metication in town, Cymbalta, go, I put you on it and they are done. Profession of Doctors is no longer noble as it used to be and part of that blame is shared by our society where doctors are sued for every little thing.

Anyway, I thought something was wrong with my brain with the dizziness and disorientation and upset stomach but now I know what is going on. I stopped Cymbalta 7 days days ago, cold turkey and it has been hell. I really didnt realize that Cymbalta was doing this. I took theraflu for two nights in row thinking I had flu. Cant describe the feeling with my eyes. But most noticeable feeling is dizziness and disorientation. If I sit still, no issues, but as soon as I move my head for a second(and unfortunately you have to move your head at some point) and boom it is like I had 10 shots of Grey Goose. For the first few days, I was so tired that I thought I am getting old fast and I am only 32.

Anyway folks, good to hear this. It relieves lots of stress as I really thought something was wrong with me but I am not taking any medication again. I am instead going to read books on anxiety and depression and changing the way you think. It is after all, many years of negative thinking and needless worry that got us in to this mess so I am sure few months of thinking differently can fix it as well. Positive thinking as so much power that I am just realizing. In fact, when you feeling down, just thinking positively for once gives you a cheer.

I wish good luck to all who quit or are trying to quit, Cymbalta or anything else. No medication for me, just meditation and positivity.

Good luck to you all and God Bless!

Go to Top of Page

Skandia
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  20:15:00  Show Profile
I've been on cymbalta for years, perhaps 4 and had been on effexor before that. I went off COLD TURKEY because I no longer have health insurance and therefore no choice. Is there ANYTHING I can do to stop the "brain zaps?" There's also this pulsating through my head whenever I make the most miniscule movements. Please, I can handle the crying spells, the inability to leave my house... but the brain zaps are awful. please help!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0