Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Community Improvements
 Regular Meetings With Voice & Text Chat
 Should We Have Regular Small Group Meetings?
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author  Topic 
Page: of 5

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  22:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
STEPS TO RECOVERY #2: SEEKING HELP

Most self-help groups (e.g., Alcoholics Anonymous) stress that an essential ingredient for recovery is regularly meeting with others in a self-help meeting.

Question:

In our small group meetings, should we stress that recovery isn't a solo do-it-yourself project. Instead, recovery is a social do-it-together project involving regularly meeting with others to help them as they help you.
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  23:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
STEPS TO RECOVERY #3: STAYING FOCUSED

Most self-help groups stress that their meetings must have a focus. Thus in an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting the focus is on recovery from alcoholism. Other topics (e.g., politics) are prohibited. In this way, the self-help group isn't distracted from its primary purpose.

When self-help groups specialize (e.g., Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Over-Eaters Anonymous, Sex Addicts Anonymous); it is easier for a new member to join the group that best suits her needs.

Question:

Should each of our small group meetings have a specific purpose, and the members agree to stay "on topic" during their meetings?

(E.g., Gay-Lesbian group, Insomnia group, Depression group, Alcohol group, Drug Addiction group, Schizophrenia group, Bipolar group, Anxiety group, Singles group, Marital Problem group, etc.)?
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  23:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
STEPS TO RECOVERY #4: SHARING AND CARING

Self-help groups try to build bonds of friendship and understanding between their members. Thus they emphasize that their success is based on their members' sharing and caring for each other.

Question:

Should our small group meetings actively promote group solidarity - specifically sharing and caring for other group members?
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  23:33:52  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
STEPS TO RECOVERY #5: SETTING PERSONAL GOALS

Self-help groups usually emphasize the importance of setting and achieving personal goals.

These self-help groups publicly congratulate members when they achieve a personal goal (e.g., Alcohol Anonymous gives a "one year cake" at the end of the first year of sobriety).

Question:

Should our small group meetings actively promote the setting and achieving of personal goals?
Go to Top of Page

rose30
Starting Member

30 Posts
Gratitude: 26

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  08:53:01  Show Profile
That sounds good, I myself would feel more listened to, not that I haven't found this site to be ama_ingly supportive. I think the structure would help me and maybe others to make progress, and reach some resolutions. More info is always welcome. The only problem I forsee is finding a good meeting time for all, which could be better achieved by those of us that are interested in having a resume style hours available kind of thing, with time _ne listed, which confuse the stuffing out of me, provide a map?
Go to Top of Page

rose30
Starting Member

30 Posts
Gratitude: 26

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  09:19:48  Show Profile
what to do if a moderator is on sick leave: asking an administrator to step in is tricky cause their time is limited and already stretched.

asking for a vote is tricky cause it may cause animosity, insecurity, ect. unless anonymous.

canceling the group is terrible, cause familiarity and support are very important and you are removing those.

not allowing the moderater to resume roll after sick leave is over removes something they may have been looking forward to that improved their chances of 'remission'. If records can be kept of discussions or it's a new topic, lack of info should not be a problem

how about a volunteer list of replacement members that can fill in that the administrator chooses from, taking into account members availability as listed thru resume hours chart, how many times they have been the moderator, and on info from anonymous votes on how well they perform as a moderator. This could work for advance call offs, but if out of the blue no moderator I don't know, just have some1 step up.

Which brings about the issue of performance as a moderator. Guidelines would be good, more experienced members go first, administers choice to start with, and of course understanding by all members that this is new so have patience, understanding, and forgiveness as always. Post optionally anonymous feedback for all involved by all.

thanks to those of you who made it thru my muddle. I tend to make everything to complex to work, lets just let things flow too.

Excellent Suggestions Rose30,

I like all of your suggestions, and especially the issue of the absent small group moderator. Perhaps every small group should have a designated "co-chair" who would be available to lead the group if the moderator is absent?

It's great to think out all these issues before we start these small groups. On the internet there is an excellent guide for group leaders of a mood disorders self-help group ( http://www.livingroomsupport.org/resources/Facilitators_manual.pdf ). This guide happens to be faith-based, but the principles of group leadership are universally applicable.

I look forward to your future suggestions.

Phil Long MD
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2010 :  23:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
UPDATE ON OUR SMALL GROUP PROPOSAL

Our Small Groups Will Support Text And Voice

We are proceeding with our proposal to create small groups on MyTherapy. Mark has found software which will allow us to support both text and voice over the internet.

Democracy

We have decided to let our small group members democractically decide how to run their group. All we will ask is that the group members name their group and give a brief description of their group (to be posted in the group directory). New members then will be able to join the group(s) that most appeal to them.

Code of Ethics

The only requirement of our small groups is that they abide by our Code of Ethics.

Expected Completion Date

Mark and I must finish a large computerized record-keeping system before we start work on our small group project.

Thus we predict our small groups and chat room won't open until this December. There will be a surprise innovation that we will add to our chat room. This innovation, we hope, will make our chat room very popular (but more about this later).

Phil Long MD
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Xibbling
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1105 Posts
Gratitude: 799
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  08:38:12  Show Profile
This seems like a very good idea, well thought out, hopefully it will run smoothly. I look forward to trying it out :) Thanks
Go to Top of Page

fleurette
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3400 Posts
Gratitude: 1264
Very caringVery wiseVery honest

Posted - 04/07/2010 :  07:54:44  Show Profile
Yes, I'm looking forward to participating too. So exciting!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bluejay
Starting Member

19 Posts
Gratitude: 24

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  06:53:18  Show Profile
Man, I really do need help...out of 11 questions I answered 3 wrong on an oppion survey....how do you answer incorrectly on an oppion survey? Sounds like a very good idea, hope to see a group session in place. People communicating with other people is a possitive thing! I am for building possitive relationships...only way to do that is to provide arenas so people can get together and share their hearts.

Welcome To Our Community Bluejay,

There was a software bug in our question and answer program. This told you the "correct answer" after your answer. Obviously, in a survey like ours, there is no "correct answer".

This software bug will soon be corrected.

Phil Long MD
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

clpx
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2010 :  18:01:01  Show Profile
Reyplying to member Blujay & Administrator re "meetings w/Voice & Text Chat." As Bluejay noted, how do you get an incorrect answer when this is supposed to be a survey?
Take the following:
What would be an ideal size for a weekly small group meeting:
A = 5
B = 6
C = 7
D = 8
E = 9
F = 10
G = 11
H = 12
I = 13
J = 14

I would choose 5 min for each member & a group of 12 in a 60 min session. Is there some psychotherapy protocol that determines the size of a group? Pleas explain.

Should our weekly small group meetings be:
A = Open to every MyTherapy registered member
B = Closed (i.e., by invitation only)
C = Both (some groups being open, other groups being closed)
You incorrectly answered: C

Then don't ask me.

clpx
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  00:05:18  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Dear Members,

There is a bug in our survey. Please disregard the survey telling you if your answer was "correct". Obviously, in a survey like this there is no correct or incorrect answer.

We will try to correct this bug.

Phil Long MD
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

hercules21
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

5803 Posts
Gratitude: 2829

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  17:25:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Administrator

Online dating services, like E-Harmony, have members complete a questionnaire so that they can be matched to other individuals sharing the same characteristics.

Question:

Should we electronically match individuals sharing the same problems when forming a small group? (Individuals wouldn't be matched by their diagnoses, just by their problems.)

I don't think you will get enough participating members to do this. I think the groups will form themselves based on time zones and people preferring to meet on a weekend or in the middle of the week. I work so my possible meeting times are limited. Just giving people the options of a weekend meeting vs a weekday meeting is probably the way to go.

What is the update on these groups are we still going to have them? I think I read somewhere that you put it on hold due to financial constraints?

I think most people wanted text chat? from memory - but I will review your survey results here...

I think people would really enjoy this feature and it would help with people's therapy.

"Mrs Morel always said the after-life would hold nothing in store for her husband: he rose from the lower world into purgatory, when he came home from pit, and passed into heaven in the Palmerston Arms.".

Hi Hercules21,

The good news is that these groups are definitely going to start this December. Mark and I will soon finish our other project; then we will devote ourselves to this exciting new weekly group meeting project.

Phil Long MD
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

crimsonandclover
Super Member (250+ posts)

816 Posts
Gratitude: 468
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  15:33:59  Show Profile
I'm so happy to hear that the groups will be starting. I have wanted to attend a support group for some time, there are none in my area. Thank you Dr. Long

Susan

The nights blend and the days fade
Go to Top of Page

C.M.
Starting Member

30 Posts
Gratitude: 37

Posted - 11/18/2010 :  16:32:19  Show Profile
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Administrator

Question:

Should there be different weekly meetings for different illnesses? (Thus there would be a weekly meeting for Schizophrenia, another for Bipolar Disorder, another for Anxiety Disorders, etc.)

I answered yes to this question. I am re-thinking this. Since we share common strategies for many of our issues, what would be the point in separating us by diagnosis? I suspect we could enhance the therapeutic peer experience by our combined attendance. Just a thought.
C.M.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0