Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  21:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Dear Members,

We are about to change MyTherapy by becoming more therapy oriented.

However, before we make these major changes, we would like your assessment of what are the best features of another excellent mental health website, APA.org.

We have chosen to analyze APA.org because of its obvious popularity, and its use of advertising.

So, when you have the time, could you visit APA.org, then please comment on:

• What are the best features of APA.org?

• What do you think of their use of advertising?
Thank you for helping us with this important assessment. I think APA.org will also benefit from your comments.

Phil Long MD
Administrator

Go To APA.org
Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

86214 Posts
Gratitude: 31682
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestAttentionI agree

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  07:39:38  Show Profile

Hi Doctor Long,

I am all for additional therapeutic measures...

And as far as the possibility of introducing advertising here within "My Therapy", I have no problem with that either, if that provides the funding needed to update our website!

For what it's worth that's a double thumbs up from me!

Cheers, Dave

Random acts of kindness can be a great way of finding our own happiness...

Hi David,

APA.org, at first glance, seems to be very different from MyTherapy:

• It features more news items of general psychological interest.

• It shies away from self-diagnosis and self-monitoring of progress.

• It shies away from politically controversial topics (e.g., war, poverty, hatred).

• It shies away from severe mental illness (e.g., schizophrenia, bipolar disorder).

• It is more popular than MyTherapy.
Thus we would like to poll our membership as to what makes APA.org so popular?

Everyone's input on this would be very helpful.

Thanks for your input David!

Go to Top of Page

lynn2150

21329 Posts
Gratitude: 9217

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  02:05:44  Show Profile
Too commercial, for me, APA,
But if it helps pay the bills why not?

What I hope doesn't change here is the meat and potatoe talk about dealing with mental illness.

The Nitty Gritty. The sharing and comraderie.

Note to self: ask God what His plans are, for me, for the day.
Go to Top of Page

CBoo
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1669 Posts
Gratitude: 1820
Very caringVery wiseVery honestI agree

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  01:10:36  Show Profile
I think maybe I'm missing something, but APA strikes me as less of a therapy site than a resource site for mental health professionals and students. Also if there is a forum there, I didn't find it.

Their use of advertising is tastefully appropriate and not OTT - except for the shop cart which kind of put me off

Their use of news feed is good and would be nice if we had it here, as it provides good current topics for discussion.

I think it would be good to offer books here at MT, in the forums. Perhaps it is being done, I'm not familiar with all the boards here. But if not, one way of doing it is by affiliating with Amazon.com who provide widgets or even an "astore" for books of choice.

All in all, I far prefer MT

Clare

The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance my deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper

24351 Posts
Gratitude: 10921

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  09:01:18  Show Profile
i love it all.

alot of what i have wanted to deal with is there.

i would like to see a non-biological determinst take on disability
and i think mental health proffessionals need to work as does everyone else of rooting out cultural genetic discrimination i accademia, society and psychitry. you all are probably doing very well in that direction . if iam behind the times i would like to be brought up to speed. .

i think it is a great site , how much would it cost to buy the old site
. as it is. ?

i welcome new things additions but because we are as we are we help a whole lot of people.

we need to add the things to our site , without losing those things that make us a great site.

when i come here it is my home. its members my family, . and i know its a buisness, but when i come here its everything i had not been getting in the previous forty years. can we buy bumper stickers, or t shirts advertising my therapy? can we help fund print out fliers, and cards to hand out our freinds. . . i will put a bill board on my truck free. . we can link to the stuff we dont have.
changes are needed . . if we could edit identifying information in our posts,and change our screen names .

then i could get a whole mess of people here. . . . we have alot of people who just read here.

we need to pay bills but if advertisers get in here they will want to change us. . how about having multi-cultural bunch of boards.
multi-class even markets to genetic prefferences. we are all hu-beings
personal blogs could be like mini-communities or welcome to my house,bario or what have you.

this way if iam encourable rambunctious etc i could go to a section of the site where thered be people like me so i would fit in.

and when i want to talk all refined and intellectual etc and be in a more structured enviroment. i could be. different strokes for different folks but at the same time , a communty sort of like the usa. . like a free speach zone within set limits etc.

a section of the site that allows members to lobby for improved services and the like.

a section where we could learn to identify and market our skills.
where volunteer service organizations could be listed and we could help them and they could help us.

and we could list our skills and what we would like to barter to for in exchange . like you help me with math and i will help you read or whatever. dont know if these are good ideas just talking of the top of my head

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Go to Top of Page

loggedin
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3838 Posts
Gratitude: 2525

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  11:12:39  Show Profile
Hi David,

APA.org, at first glance, seems to be very different from MyTherapy:
It features more news items of general psychological interest.
It shies away from self-diagnosis and self-monitoring of progress.
It shies away from politically controversial topics (e.g., war, poverty, hatred).
It shies away from severe mental illness (e.g., schizophrenia, bipolar disorder).
It is more popular than MyTherapy.
Thus we would like to poll our membership as to what makes APA.org so popular?
Everyone's input on this would be very helpful.
Thanks for your input David!

I have not looked at it yet -I am trying to get my butt in gear for today - But, Dr. Long, I have a few things to say already:

First, APA is basically the official head of the field (in America, anyway), which gives it automatic popularity. Nothing can be done about that, however, I suggest a more official-sounding name than My Therapy. It sounds like one person's personal blog

Second, there are a number of reasons I could speculate the APA's "shying away" on their site. But if it doesn't interact with the user like MT does, that is something that MT can capitalize on.

(Points #1 and #2 combined, I would like to toss in the name Canadian Interactive Mental Health)

Third, IMO, the use of advertising does not need to be justified. There is a difference between providing a useful product and/or service in exchange for pay, and fraud.

Best wishes in your endeavor!

Let yourself believe that we are born innocent - Sarah McLachlin
Go to Top of Page

loggedin
Incredible Member (2000+ posts)

3838 Posts
Gratitude: 2525

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  11:25:08  Show Profile
Hey Stomper,

I know this is off topic. But you referred to a free speech zone in the USA. Could you please tell me where it is? I'm still looking.

Let yourself believe that we are born innocent - Sarah McLachlin
Go to Top of Page

stigmastomper

24351 Posts
Gratitude: 10921

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  12:52:21  Show Profile
its not in connecticut.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Go to Top of Page

loggedin