Psych Community

Welcome Message
Registration Tutorial
Nickname:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Mental Health Lectures
 Severe Mental Illness I (Lecture + Discussion)
 Comments On Slide 17

Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  16:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
Previous slide
Slide 17
 Next slide
Go to Top of Page

Administrator
Administrator

15007 Posts
Gratitude: 3353
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestI agree

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  21:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Administrator's Homepage
I would welcome your comments concerning this slide.
Go to Top of Page

GladysK
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  22:37:09  Show Profile
Of that 9% who faithfully take their medication and do not abuse substances, 50% are rehospitalized anyway, according to the following slide. That means that only 4.5% benefit enough to remain outpatients.

Also, this says that 61% are not fully compliant, and 30% don't benefit from medication. Maybe that explains why half of the 61% don't comply, the medication isn't helping them. I

It's so obvious that whatever medication is being pushed on schizophrenics, they would rather remain ill by the medical communities standards, than take it. Maybe it's time to stop being so adament that they NEED to take the antipsychotics, which by your own reporting won't help half of them
enough to keep them out of the hospital, no matter how faithfully they take it, and to which a third of them do not respond at all.

I think it is reasonable to assume that antipsychotic medication must be very unpleasant if so few people, who are clearly suffering, will agree to take it. But if you consider that only 4.5% are showing long term benefit from taking the meds, maybe it's time to come up with some new meds or some other form of treatment.

I've read before that in many countries the majority of people with schizophrenia spontaneously recover without treatment, it's only in the US, and after taking psychotropics, that people never recover.

Hi Gladysk,

There are no studies, to the best of my knowledge, that show that the majority of individuals with Schizophrenia spontaneously recover. Tragically, the opposite is true.

In Oslo, Norway, they keep excellent computerized health records. They found that 94% of individuals with Schizophrenia in Oslo were disabled (and most were on disability pension). Likewise, they found that 47% of these individuals were socially isolated.

What research does show is that the first 5 years of untreated Schizophrenia are usually the hardest. Usually, after that, the delusions, hallucinations and depression slowly decrease. However, the "negative symptoms" of Schizophrenia slowly increase over time. Hence the individual with Schizophrenia slowly becomes more socially isolated and less active.

In contrast, early treatment with antipsychotic medication usually removes the delusions, hallucinations, and depression in a few weeks.

In Ireland, there was a famous study of individuals who had chronic untreated Schizophrenia. The majority of these untreated individuals were described as "mute" and "motionless". They literally sat all day and just stared at the wall.

In contrast, on antipsychotic medication, individuals with Schizophrenia can expect a "social recovery"; that is, they will have friends and enjoy a near-normal social life. Unfortunately, even with antipsychotic medication, the majority of individuals with Schizophrenia will not have a "vocational recovery"; that is, they will not be employed in competitive employment.

It often requires one or more hospitalizations before doctors find the best antipsychotic medication (+/- antidepressant medication) for an individual with Schizophrenia. Thus hospitalization is often the first step towards recovery.

I wish Schizophrenia had a better outcome, but Schizophrenia is now the 4th leading cause of disability (for ages 15-44 years old) in the western world.

Phil Long M.D.
Administrator

Go to Top of Page

crookedmile
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  16:48:17  Show Profile
those who don't know or refuse help will eventually hit rock bottom and lose something so dear to them that they will self reflect and get help.

*CROOKED MILE*
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0