Next Page
 Forum Locked  Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

juniperbelle

62 Posts
Gratitude: 46

Posted - 03/21/2008 :  15:24:08  Show Profile
Hello, I'm Juniperbelle, and this is my first post. I know nothing about blogs, so bear with me. I don't even know which forum to post in, because I have been diagnosed as depressed most of my life. When I became 60 years old, the new doctor diagnosed me as bipolar. I was angry, because I've never "enjoyed" any manic phases, only depressed ones. Anyway, I'm taking medication for both diagnoses. To top it off (or bottom it out), I have engaged in binge drinking at various times, especially when the mental or physical pain become greater than I csn bear. With my form of illness, physical pain is a major factor. I drink and then sleep through the worst 3-4 days. So, I have multiple problems. My doctor insists that I join some 12-step program, but I just cannot stand the public forum and meetings. I'm trying out the My Way Out program, but I still need a mentor.

I'm unable to figure out how to request a mentor because I have no "My Blog" button on my menu to press. Also, I don't even know in which forum to post, since I have multiple problems.

If someone can help me navigate around this site, I would be most grateful.

Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2008 :  11:27:54  Show Profile
Thanks, Storm. I didn't mean I want my own blog (too shy for that); I just was trying to get a mentor, and the instructions said to click on "My Blog" on the left of the menu. I don't have that button to click. Jbelle
Go to Top of Page

jo73
Amazing Member (1000+ posts)

1407 Posts
Gratitude: 264
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  15:08:44  Show Profile
hi i to am new to the site and would like a mentor, i dont know wot to realy do onthe site and i to have several differnt problems .
i am 34 years old and my husband of 10 years passed away last feb 2007 due to a massive heart attack he was only 44 and never really drank or smoked and was never ill , later that same year i got raped by someone who was ment to be my friend and since found out of the police that they r not taking it to court so he gets away with , then this feb2008 i lost my 3 year old son , i dont know wot im ment to do i have no reason to stay alive i have lost the 2 people that was my life i have taken 2 overdoses since i lost my son but got found both times. i have been saving my sleeping pills and antidepresents , i have also been drinking most of the time , i carnt sleep and dont want to because when i do i have nightmares about both paul and daniel, i am self harming most of the time , and i keep seeing and hearing things that aint there, i am also very paranoid and dont like going out of the house especially on my own . i know i need help but dont know wot to do everyday i just wish i wasnt here please someone reply
Go to Top of Page

davidt
Super Incredible Member (10000+ posts)

86214 Posts
Gratitude: 31682
Very caringVery wiseVery funnyVery honestAttentionI agree

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  17:01:14  Show Profile

Hi Jo73.,

I've just welcomed you in the new member section of the Schizophrenia forum.

This is indeed a difficult time for you. I am so sorry you've suffered so much grief. My heart goes out to you at this time!

Are you being treated by a psychiatrist for your issues? We are as you can see a mental health fellowship, but it is important that you are also receiving medical treatment. For we are predominately an emotional support community. And that we will give you in abundance if you stay with us.

Hopefully, a female member will in time mentor you. It's best that it is someone of the same sex for obvious reasons. And even more so learning that you have been sexually abused.

Hang on in there. I trust one or more of our female members will respond to you soon. If not tonight, tomorrow.

You will never feel alone or abandoned here! David

Friendship is the greatest gift of all.

Go to Top of Page

jo73

1407 Posts
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  17:34:06  Show Profile
hi davidt thanx for your reply , the only person i see is a cpn and he doesnt seem to think anything is wrong but i dont think he realy listens to wot i try to tell him. how do i get to the Schizophrenia forum and does this mean u think i suffer from it . i know there is something wrong with me but i need to know wot as i feel like i am going mad at the minute and i dont nhave anyone to talk to as i feel so stupid trying to explain to people that i am hearing and seeing things. i always see my husband and he tells me things i should do and that i should go b with him, i laways hear my son crying , and i keep seeing spiders . i hope i will fit in get on with people in hear as i need to know that other people have felt the same and that im not going mad when i see and hear things thanx for reply jo
Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  18:48:56  Show Profile
Hi Jo.,

First things first. Forgive me , I assumed you were Schizophrenic, purely because you posted in that forum. We are not qualified here to diagnose someone. Thats for sure. Our Administrator Doctor Long is a qualified Psychiatrist, but he legally can't treat anyone here in the communities, as we are not his patients. But he does offer some helpful suggestions on a regular basis. And of course, we the members are in someway or other, either connected to mental illness through loved ones or because we have mental health issues ourselves to deal with.

We do have a self diagnosis assessment. Which is used by medical professionals also. We too have access to it, but unfortunately it's one of the very few areas that we have to subscribe too. So there is a charge of I think eighty nine dollars about fifty pound. But a member can refer back to it as often as they wish over twelve months. There has to be a fee for it costs money to provide and continually update the soft ware. It is however very comprehensive and thorough. I learned a lot about myself doing it. You can also print off the findings.

But I'm not trying to sell you anything. Just pointing out that such a facility exists.

You say the only medical input you have is a CPN. What about medication? Knowing what that is, may help you know what you are being treated for. That's of course if you are on any!

We have a compendium of all the different psychiatric drugs at hand on this website. If you look up medication you'll see for yourself.

I'm quite confident you will get on with people here. We are an exceptionally friendly lot. And now you know me, well sort of, I'll keep an eye on you too. Don't worry, I'm not only old enough to be your father, I also Gay so you've got nothing to be concerned about on that score!

To browse the different forums all you need to do is click on Communities Home and that will direct you to all all forums. Another tip. If you click on to Whats New that will keep you up to date with current postings.

I realize you've had a great deal of heartache to contend with. So I'll support you whenever I can. That's a promise.

My main issues are anxiety and depression.

Speak to you soon David

In the meanwhile other members are likely to greet you. Take Care!

If you work these communities ... there's a good chance these communities will work for you!
Go to Top of Page

jo73

1407 Posts
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  19:09:22  Show Profile
hi i carnt aford to take the self diagnosis assessment as i am only on benifits and have huge debts since my husbands death.is there any way in wich i can get to talk t this Doctor Long for advice . i have been take anti depressents but been told by my cpn not to take them as they will just make me feel worse plus he has cancelled my perscripion for them as i saved them then overdosed on them, the only other thing i have i zopiclone to try and help me sleep but i ahve been saving them so that when i really carnt take anymore of life i can
just go to sleep. thanx for being so understanding and caring as u can proberly tell im not used to people actually caring about me it would b great if u can keep an eye on me as i think i need it and it would mean a lot to me i hope i get to talk to other people but am so glad u replyed to me first. thanx again for caring and im sorry i must sound like im just moaning on . thanx jo
Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  08:06:31  Show Profile

Hi Jo.,

No problem re the diagnose yourself it's neither compulsory to your membership, or a must, in terms of getting well. It's just an add on, for those who want, and can afford it.

There are many other ways within our caring communities that will allow you to get to know yourself more. May I suggests you fill in the Mood Calender on a daily basis . There are questions to be pondered there. There's also our Computerized Diary, another way of Self Assessment and without charge. Once you've posted fifteen times or more, you'll have access to these additional facilities. You will also be able to access a Private Blog Spot, that can only be viewed by other members and not the public Internet. There is other things there too, such as requesting a Mentor etc. You really have come to a good place. Out of interest may I ask how you found us here?

I've noticed your getting plenty of response, to the welcome I posted. Pleased about that! Another way to get recognized is to post a new topic. That way you will be alerted by e-mail when others reply to it. Circulating around the forums is the best way to make new friends.

Keep Posting!
The more you put in to My Therapy the more you'll get out of it! David

If you work these communities ... there's a good chance these communities will work for you!
Go to Top of Page

jo73

1407 Posts
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  08:35:03  Show Profile
hi david things r getting worse for me the voices i keep hearing told me to do something that i shouldnt have done ( i bought beer for my friends daughter) i know i shouldnt of but couldnt control it so i did it and now my friend found out and doesnt want to know me . i car explain to her y i done it as i dont really understand it myself, she was my only real friend she was there for me when i lost paul and daniel and know i have lost her dont know wot to do all i know is i carnt cope and have no reason to live i am sat at my comp drinking beer and thinking about taking all my pills . jo
Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  08:35:39  Show Profile

Hi again Jo,

Sorry I did not respond to your request for a personal chat with Doctor Long. I'm afraid that's not possible. He is a full time practicing Psychiatrist, he does not have the time to engage with us as individuals. However occasionally he does address certain issues that members have. This link will explain it better than I.

http://www.mytherapy.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=172&vfilter=off&co=off

Re your medication, I'm sorry you abused your drugs. I can understand from that, why you are not prescribed them now, from a point of view of safety. May be in time you will get them back. That of course is up to you Doctor, and not anyone here.

http://mentalhealth.com/p30.html

Another point, I said for you to qualify for certain facilities here, such as the mood calender , a member must have 100 posts to qualify. Sorry I did not mean to mislead you. This link will tell you more about that.

http://www.mytherapy.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11632

Hopefully I've gone someway to informing you on what we have on offer here!

Cheers, David

Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  08:52:14  Show Profile
We will befriend you!

quote:
Originally posted by jo73

hi david things r getting worse for me the voices i keep hearing told me to do something that i shouldnt have done ( i bought beer for my friends daughter) i know i shouldnt of but couldnt control it so i did it and now my friend found out and doesnt want to know me . i car explain to her y i done it as i dont really understand it myself, she was my only real friend she was there for me when i lost paul and daniel and know i have lost her dont know wot to do all i know is i carnt cope and have no reason to live i am sat at my comp drinking beer and thinking about taking all my pills . jo

Sadly Jo we are not in a position to become involved with personal crisis intervention. We are only a website community. You must ring a crisis line, or your Doctor for help! Please, I beg of you to do that!

Community Hugs, David
Go to Top of Page

juniperbelle

62 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  09:55:45  Show Profile
Hi, Jo. I'm so very sorry that you are having such a difficult life. In my worst nightmares, I can't imagine suffering the losses you've had. Welcome to our online support group.

My only advice is to seek help in your community. Have you checked into the city, county, state, and other community social services? Some churches offer help, shelter, food, counseling; I know mine does, and it helps many people. We even have a handbook to give people, listing all the community services available. There HAS to be some agency locally to help you.

My Therapy can offer online support and understanding, but you must have local, physical support. If you don't have a telephone, find one plus a telephone directory and start calling everyone you think might help. Maybe even the local police can point you toward some type of help. Call churches and ask for help; let them direct you to local groups. Go to Google and enter your city, county, or state + social services, which will provide a list of agencies.

We'll be here for you, but you must do your part in reahing out for help in your community. This is the 21st century--surely no one can fall through the cracks in this way! Bless you, my dear, search and insist on getting help. Please don't try to do this alone. You have lost husband, son, and best friend, but there are thousands of other people who can help. Juniperbelle
Go to Top of Page

davidt

86214 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  12:20:35  Show Profile

Many thanks JB

For responding to joe73. I think it is better sometimes female to female.

It's a while since I've noticed you about.

I trust you are in good spirit!

It would be nice to see you here more often.

Yours in friendship, David

Dear Jo.,

I hope and pray you are feeling a little less despairing . We are here for you as you can see, but we are not trained counselors, when it comes to thinking of seriously harming yourself. May I suggest the Samaritan's if thoughts of that nature are still with you!

http://www.samaritans.org/

They will have counselors nearby who may even visit you at home.

Yours in friendship, David

Go to Top of Page

jo73

1407 Posts
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  13:13:13  Show Profile
hi thanx for reply i do have a cpn that comes to c me once every 2 weeks but when he comes sometimes he doesnt seem intersted and he and my gp just think im depressed because of every that has happend but im scared that its something else as ive suffered bad depression before in 2001 when i had a breakdown and this is completely differnet im so scared and dont know wot to do. i dont like going out as i think everything is watching me and can hear wot im thinking , i know i sound aranoid please reply as it helps a little to hear of other people joxx
Go to Top of Page

jo73

1407 Posts
Very caringVery honest

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  13:20:58  Show Profile
hi david thanx for caring i still feel the same as before but being on here and talking to other people helps a little. i have been emailing the samaritans for a few months now and most of the time they do reply i have phoned them a few times but doesnt really help, i think i need to see a Psychiatrist or someone but dont think my cpn will refer me as hiim and my gp just thing im depressed wot would u suggest i do thanx jo
Go to Top of Page

sdella
Starting Member

30 Posts
Gratitude: 20

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  15:40:01  Show Profile
Hi, jo73, my heart went out to you as I read your desperate emails. I am unable to know the exact pain you are experiencing, but I can tell you I empathize. I have Major Depressive Disorder, I lost my mother when I was 6, and my father just died in March. I have no supportive biological family, all relatives have some sort of dysfunction, I can hear the pain, the loneliness in your messages, I am so sorry about your husband, you son, you friend, how trying these tiimes must be for you. Jeez, how I know the isolation, the agrophobia, not being able to leave the house, I didn't leave today, I am on a fixed disability and retirement so I know how strapped A person can be, especially in these trying times. You have probably already been told you are not alone, and you're not, try to keep busy, particularly with your hands, it may help to keep your mind active. Seek support groups, we have one here, called Depression and Bipolar Alliance, people there really have experienced some of the same things you and I have
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
Jump To:
MyTherapy Communities © MyTherapy Go To Top Of Page
TotalTodayYesterday
Topics: 33407
New Topics: 0
New Topics: 0